Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Jiffy Gingerbread

I just finished cutting and gluing gingerbread for the haberdashery. No, I didn't drag out the jigsaw, nor the coping saw. I used a paper punch! EK Success puts out some dandy corner punches that make wonderful gingerbread. I came up with this idea a couple of years ago. I was looking for a bunch of gingerbread and didn't want to pay a lot of money for it. The laser cut stuff can be very expensive. As you know, I am for doing things the inexpensive way if I can.

The first photo shows the corner punch that I used. The trick is to pop the corner guide off of the punch. Yes, you can do it easily and it will pop back on if you wish to use it that way again. As you can see, I punched all the way around the edge of the card stock. Then I took a pair of small scissors and trimmed the punched pieces all the way out.


Next I glued 6 layers together with Elmer's white glue. I like that because it isn't as thick as Tacky and smooths out nicely in a thin layer between the pieces. Once you get 6 layers or more together and they are dry, you can treat them just like the wooden ones. I will let them dry 24 hours to make sure they are ready to take paint. Then I will paint them and install them in the corners between the porch posts and the roof line. They could also be used in corners of windows.

Someone on the Greenleaf list is using the fancy scissors to do borders for rooms. I don't see why you couldn't glue 6 together and use the strips for gingerbread edging too. I am going to have to try that, but not on this building.

Since this is short, I will send you to a site that you can get some wonderful vintage printies today. Bless Duke University. These are even copyright free for personal use. Go here. http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/eaa/browse I am using a couple of the advertising fliers for the haberdashery. Have fun browsing.


See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

marlies said...

I think tis is a great idea!
Sorry, bad english.
I love your site!