Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Finding Keepers

I am taking a break from sorting and cleaning this morning... Oops. It's already afternoon.

One of the things that I found was this lamp.

I did it a lot of years ago. It's last life was kind of witchy.
Tessie informed me that she needed a good place to read and with the light, this would be ideal.

The lamp is made out of an old Christmas candle light with a line switch. It had a shade to begin with, but I had to add the wooden base.  It was just the brass piece that you see.

When I first started using it, I glued the brass to a wood plaque from Walmart.

I made a new shade at the time and have made several others over the years.

It just depends on what I am going to use it for and what materials I have at hand as to how it turns out.
This time, I was in a hurry, so I just grabbed some scrapbook cardstock type paper.

It was printed with buttons.

I simply traced the original shade... Or I should say, the former shade.  I don't even remember what the original shade was made from.

Then I cut "V's" in the excess.  I turned the edges under and over lapped the ends.

Then I went and found some braid that kind of matched and covered the edges this time... Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't cover the edges.

What is on the base is not what is going to stay there.  Tessie grabbed a chair and footstool.  She then sat down with her latest copy of Variety and promptly went to sleep and started snoring loudly.

I am not about to wake her up.  The peace and quiet is enjoyable...
Here's proof of this morning's corner cleaning.  Next comes the  wood pile... I am not looking forward to that. Notice! The second to the bottom shelf is EMPTY! The garbage truck will be emptying a very full can from us this week!

Too many decisions to be made.  What to keep and what to throw. 

I have a tendency to save the smallest pieces of wood, since I work in "Small".

You never know when I will need a 1" piece of 1/4" stock...

Anyway, I am going back now to join the snoring... No not mine... Just Tessie.  She is in the middle of the worktable and I will be working around her.  Wish me luck.

See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

elizabeth s said...

Your lamp re-model looks Great Casey and Tessie can now read in both comfort and style!

Caseymini said...

Elizabeth, I need to find a rug that fits and maybe a different chair. Tessie is already complaining that the chair is uncomfortable.

Giac said...

Hello Casey,
The lamp looks awesome. Well done.
hum...never found a lamp when I clean up...;)
Big hug
Giac