Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!
Monday, October 6, 2014
Plain old four sided box about 3/4" smaller all around than the case. I used 1/16" basswood for the box itself.
I cut windows in all four sides. I trimmed them out in 1/16" double bead molding.
At the bottom, I added crown molding all around, mitering the corners. Then I mitered chair rail to go around the top.
I stained the whole thing with Red Mahogany Minwax. and painted the body flat black over that.
To make the window inserts, I used the usual packaging plastic, cut to size.
To fog the windows and make them look old and dirty, I used a big Sharpie black pen. I scribbled lines in both directions and then before they were dry, I wiped most of the ink off with a swipe across in a horizontal direction.
Now the problem is... Which lamp to use. I thought that I was going to like the orange...
By the way, the fog that you see inside the box is suds, borrowed from the baby elephant's bathtub.
I like the eerie quality that it gives to the light.
Now on to the rest. I think that I am going to try filling in the top corners of the windows on the main box with arches. That will go with the stonework on the rest of Daisy's Cottage.
Onwards and upwards!
See you tomorrow.