Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ironing Out the Kinks....

I sat myself down and designed an ironing board for Tessie yesterday afternoon. Here it is with measurements.

I cut the legs and the stops for holding them from 3/16 X1/8" stock. They are 3 1/4" long.
The top of the board was cut from 1/8" stock.
I cut the cross pieces for the legs as I went along as they had to fit exactly between the two different widths of the legs.

I added the cross pieces to the legs and then put them together with a couple of jeweler's headpins, bending the open end and clipping it short. You can see the bent end on the side of the crossed legs if you look closely.

I fastened the legs to the top by building a box shape at the back and running a headpin through that. I started with small tabs, but they broke off, so I switched horses in the middle of the stream, so to speak.
After I got the whole thing put together, I cut a piece of felt the exact size of the board and glued it on top. Then I cut a piece of fabric a bit larger than the top of the board, ran glue around the edge and then gathered the whole thing to fit over the board. I ran the thread back and forth across the back to keep the cover in place.
I am not sure if this is the cover that Tessie is going to want to use, so it is only temporary. Not very pretty, but it works for demo purposes.

As soon as it was finished, it disappeared into the new sewing loft.

Please notice that I found another dress form that stands up straight. Now all we need is an iron....Not today.

"Tessie! Get that tiger off of the ironing board right this minute!"

See you tomorrow.

8 comments:

Kathi said...

Brilliant! Superb! Clapping hands here!

Claudia said...

As always, I am so impressed with your creations - this is fabulous!

xo
Claudia

rosanna said...

Standing ovation from Genoa !!! I love it. Rosanna

Anonymous said...

love your stories and your mini's. and love tessie too!

Christine said...

Hi Casey, I'm just watching the news and what an awful thing to happen in your town. I hope that you and yours are alright. What a sad world it can be sometimes.

You don't need to publish this comment. I just wanted to reach out to you. Christine

Drora's minimundo said...

As usual, a wonderful tutorial. Thanks. Drora

Flor said...

¡Que buenos son los tutoriales que haces!!! Felicidades por compartir y enseñarnos tanto!!!¡Gracias!!
Saludos
Flor

Caseymini said...

I won't mention the shooting in the blog, but I wanted to thank all of the people that have reached out and checked to see if my family was ok. Thank you all! Needless to say, we are glued to the news watching and waiting.