Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Betcha Can't Make Just One!

I did a lot of yard work this morning. This afternoon I decided to relax and play. I continued the Tampax experiment.

I went and found some more different scraps of paper and this time some tiny trim lace. The first set I made was at Tessie's request. She wanted something exotic in which to store trinkets.

She picked the paper. It was a photo from a fabric ad in Veranda Magazine. I buy Veranda because it has great ideas for dollhouse decorating, but also for the heavy, glossy, colorful photos that can be used for miniatures and also for collage in real life. This was a full page photo of some decorator fabric laid out flat so that you could see the design.

I did these three boxes and have plenty of paper from this one page for a lot more. The braid on the box under her elbow is the loop braid that you see for sale at shows. I decided it was too big after I made it. And Oops! I placed it upside down in the picture. The other trim I used is a very fine lingerie lace. I will have to look up where I ordered it. I know it was from on line somewhere.

You could even use #5 or 8 Perle cotton for trim if you wanted to have something a bit smoother. I am also thinking that the adhesive backed metallic strips of fancy designs that are used for scrap booking would work well.

After I finished these, I noticed that the smallest one was stuck just at one spot, making it a hinged lid. If you wanted this on purpose, you could attach a small piece of ribbon between the lining and the outside on the bottom of the box and simply attach with glue to the inside of the lid.

By the way, notice that some of the boxes are oval. I simply smooshed(technical term) the tubes on two sides to make them flatter. The top and bottom paper hold them in shape.

All in all, I made seven boxes. I kind of like the boxes made with the Mary Englebrit paper that are sitting by Spike. He is still trying for something with bones on the outside so that he can keep his doggy chews inside. Sorry Spike, no luck so far.

The last set I made was from dollhouse wallpaper that is leopard skin on the bottom with a frieze of animals running across the top. I used a leopard head from the border to top the large one and some leaves were placed on the smaller one.

Anyway, as I said before......Betcha can't make just one! Have fun!



See you tomorrow!

12 comments:

Pubdoll said...

So nice boxes, I love the ones with the Mary Englebrit paper!

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Hi Casey. What a fab invention. Love it and perfect for wizards and witches too!
Check out this ladies jewellery boxes. When i saw what you had been busy making i remembered this ladies lovely work.
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5933174
I wonder if this type of thing can be done too?
Really cleaver what you have been making. Will have to now have a go myself.
Nikki

Katie said...

They are all very cute Casey! I like the Mary E. one!!! And Spike definitly needs one with bones!!! You can't neglect the poor fella!! LOL

Caseymini said...

Nikki, You could make the curved top from a half a tampon, but I think that you would have to build the bottom half the regular way. Why don't we try it and see?

MiniKat said...

Very cool! If Spike is nice, I may make him a canister of treats. ;-)

Unknown said...

What a novel idea!! Talk about re-purposing! LOL!!

I love the boxes . . . they're adorable! Great idea about using a magazine for fabric!

I must put this on my 'to do' list! Thanks so much for sharing!

Sans! said...

This is such a great tip! Now all of us can go and make boxes!Thanks, Casey!

rosanna said...

Lovely and cute, I did nothing yesterday but today I have to catch up some work.

Ayana said...

Hi Casey, your boxes are very nice and they fit very well to Tessie.It makes fun for me to pursue your blog.
Marion (Minifee)

Kim said...

I love these- I am putting them on my to-do list too! You are always sharing such great projects! Thank you!

Ara said...

These are brilliant! You just never know where mini-material will come from - haha! I will just have to try these out!! -ara

rosanna said...

Hi casey, thank you for the compliments but you should do them to Mercedes who had the idea. They are made od wood dowels cut in shape, the lid is a button with the holes filled with glue and a bead. Everything painted with acrilics. I also used varnish on them to make them more glossy. Easy peasy lemon squeezy as Mercedes would say.Hugs