Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, June 5, 2009

Alterations While You Wait......


Well. It's official. Miss Dovestone is not going to take the job of maid for Balthazar. She had her first customer as a sempstress and did quite well.

This morning when I returned from town, I discovered that Tessie was consulting with Miss Dovestone. She had decided that the dress that you are used to seeing her in was getting old and worn out. She found out that Miss Dovestone was starting a business and she quickly became her first customer. She pilfered some fabric from my stash and made a deal.

She tried to talk Cordelia out of some of the fabric that she had made her own apron and trimmings from, but Miss Dovestone refused to let her have it, saying that it was her own private collection.

Tessie settled for a new puce vest, a purple skirt and managed to find a piece of antique trim in my handkerchief drawer for her apron. A lady does not go anywhere without her apron, according to Tessie.

The two of them spred out in the bedroom and worked for a couple of hours. The result was quite satisfactory.
I have no idea what Tessie paid her, but it was a pretty good stack of bills. I am not sure that she got her money's worth. Cordelia threw in some cookies while they were bargaining.....Tessie likes cookies, as you know, so the deal was made.

Now Tessie is prancing around in the new outfit, making sure that she is seen by all. She showed the other witches at the Warehouse, stopped by Zar's and even pestered Eskiaga for a while.....I think she just wanted some of his tacos. The cookies had worn off by that time.

Her last stop was here by the computer. "Does this outfit make me look fat? Is puce a good color with my hair? Maybe I should dye my hair. It does make me look fat, doesn't it? I had her make it so that the pretty lace on my slip would show. Is it too short?It kind of matches the fancy apron." On and on and on she went.

I have the distinct feeling that the outfit is not going to last long. She really did like the old one because it was worn and comfortable. She is already complaining about the skirt wrinkling when she sits on the dragon....."NO! I don't want to learn to ride side saddle!".....That was the last comment I heard from her.

Now she is in rummaging through the fabric again. When I ask her what she is up to, she just mumbles something about these being too fancy for every day and wanting comfy clothes. Then she goes back to digging.

I have a feeling that Miss Dovestone will have at least one steady customer until Tessie gets comfy again.

See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

Tina said...

I love Tessies new dress.. I also understand her wanting to be comfortable.. As for her old dress.. I loved it too... I think Tessie has cast a spell on me.. She somehow has made me into a Tessie follower (at loss for a better word to describe me). Can't wait to see what she pulls from the stash next.
And just so she knows.. Yes Tessie, you look wonderful in puce..Not everyone can wear it and you wear it well.
Off to wander around the web until the next installment.. Yikes I just realised it will be another day..
Thanks for sharing.
Tina

MiniKat said...

Tessie I think the new dress is lovely, but I"m worried that you might get potion ingredients on it when you work. Perhaps you should wear that one on fancy occasions like Halloween? You do look good in puce and I think the bit of lace on your petticoat that shows it very pretty. :-)

Katie said...

Maybe you could cut a slit in Tessie's new dress so she can ride the dragon like a real cowgirl!! Love the color of the dress!!! I wish I had a personal semstress!! LOL

rosanna said...

I suppose I shall have to get used to the new outfit. Tessie is lovely but seems more grown up with it, the old one was more childish and she looked cheeckier on it. Not that she needs it, she already is cheecky. Hugs to you both.

Caseymini said...

Hang in there all of you. Tessie dumped the new outfit. She is off on another tangent.