Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Short Day

I am not going to get a lot done today. As you can see, I am working on the bottom bay for the bookshop.
The first thing I decided to do was not put the holes in the panel under the window seat. I am not sure I like the one on the top floor that already has the holes knocked out. I may change that one too.

To change it, I simply ran white glue around the cuts. That will hold them in place. I will put that side to the back.

Thank goodness for painter's tape. It is so much better than the masking tape that we used to use. No sticky residue if you leave it on for a while.


Speaking of residue, I pulled out a few of my brushes this morning and the one that I wanted to use was all stuck together with white paint. Not to worry tho. Did you know that rubbing alcohol will take dried acrylics right out of your brushes. If they aren't too bad you can just swish them around in a cap full. Then rinse and dry. If they are really gunked up(technical term) you can soak them for a while in enough to cover the bristles. Keep testing. When it is soft, rinse and dry. The paint will come right out and your brush will be like new!

Back to the subject at hand. As you can see, I assembled the bay outside of the building. I dry fitted it into the hole to make sure it fit but I didn't glue it in. That part I did separately.

Then I let it dry and coated the inside with a couple of coats of gesso.

Here you can see that I painted the section of the building wall that will be inside the peak of the bay. Have you ever tried standing on your head to paint up under that part? I have. It makes you crazy and dizzy at the same time.....Not a pleasant combination.

You can see the part that I kept the panels in. The front of the seat doesn't even show traces of the cracks.

I dry fitted that bay into the hole. The top is still not glued to the bottom section.


I will do all of the gessoing and some of the inside painting etc. on the main floor before I do that.

I am pretty pleased with the arrangement of the bays now.

If I had left the bottom bay on the other side, I would have had to cut a whole new piece for the double window part of the bay and the two sides to match up with the bottom of the top bay so that it would be one long column like the front door area. I didn't want all of the interest to be on one side of the building. This way there is something to look at from all angles. I didn't want to get involved with that kind of adjustment. As you know, if there is an easier way, I will take it every time.


The reason that I won't get a lot done today is the Wednesday Witches' mini meeting. I will probably take something along to work on. Maybe some more books are in order. I have quite a few made, but bookshops never have enough. They always seem to be out of the one that I want and I have to special order........Not here. This is going to be a magical bookshop. Whatever I want will be in stock. It's my bookshop and if I want it to have all the books in the world, it will! So there!!!

OK. I am off to play some more. Did I mention I actually got the real dishes done yesterday? My glued together fingers stayed clean for about ten minutes. Hey! That's a record for me. I am typing through a layer of gesso on my fingers right now.

Gotta go. See you tomorrow.

No comments: