Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Extras.....

I started looking around for something to blog about this morning. I hit upon what I call my "Extras".


Yes. I have drawers and storage boxes like everyone else. I also have a couple of Ballhagen display rooms and a printer's type drawer among other things. This is where I put things temporarily that I want to look at and not hide away.


I started with this one. I made the Chrysenbon stove, hutch and icebox. I didn't want to hide them until I finished a house to put them in, so I finished this room box. I made it kind of generic but still kitchen like. Nothing in it is fastened down. Things leave to go to other rooms and houses. I always seem to have more stuff that can wander in and take their place.


The two people here are a couple more characters from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series. Willow and Xander. I want to eventually make the magic shop that was in the show. Until then Willow is stuck making chocolate chip cookies instead of magic potions. And poor Xander is just fussing around with empty pans. I think that they both sit down for milk and cookies when I am not around.


This is a printer's type case that hangs just inside the door of my workroom.It has loads of books, some luggage, some purses and various other odds and ends. Don't ask about the glass eyes in the bottom row on the left. They aren't for minis. In fact they are really for jewelry making and soft sculpture.


My first soft sculpture mini doll lives here too. She seems to be happy perched on the top.


The third one is another room box. It has been set up as everything from living room, den, to dining room at one time or another.


Right now it is a bedroom. This will change as soon as I make another house that needs that particular bed and dressing table.



What is the point of all of this? I just wanted to show that you don't have to make a room or house permanent to show off your minis. Sometimes we have things that we would like to display. We just don't have the finished product.


I have several other little vignette type display cases around the house. With these, I don't have to hide stuff in a drawer. I can put them out and enjoy them before I have to build the finished product. So grab a room box and start decorating it. Then when you order some furniture for a future house you will be able to enjoy it while you are working on the house.


That's it for today. Go find a box and get to work! See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

I found your blog through Gina's More Minis a few days ago. I had not seen your blog before, partly because I cease mini play in the winter, and just now have re- entered the 'scene'. I see I have some reading to do around mini-blogland!
BTW, that was soo weird..when I looked at the photo of your kitchen, and the people in it, I was struck with the idea that they reminded me of Xander and Willow from Buffy..and then I read your entry. It is Willow and Xander...hey! BIG fan of Buffy here. I am currently re-watching my dvds of the show; I'm on Season 5 right now.
Well, expect more comments from me on your very helpful & interesting blog.