Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Good Intentions.....

I experimented today. I woke up at 3AM wondering if I could make mini moldings for curved windows and arches with polymer clay and an extruder. I couldn't get back to sleep thinking about it. Making plans.

Today is the regular Wednesday meeting of our group called the Wednesday Witches. No. We aren't really. Some other people started calling us that and the name stuck. Anyway, the meeting was here so I decided to work on my theory. As I said, good intentions.

I first started with Super Sculpey. Loaded the extruder. It was too hard. Then I used some Fimo soft....Yup. Too soft. At the same time, I am trying to serve snacks, look up websites, serve dessert, keep the Fimo out of the dessert, keep the cat out of the dessert, and a couple of other things. Let's just say "So much for the experiment."

I am thinking that it will still work but I have to go about it in a different way. The Three Bears approach is not going to work. More on that after I work on it some more. I AM going to win!

Meanwhile, I need to feed you a bit of eye candy since I have nothing to show of the experiment.



This is Eskiaga. He is a sculpture that I made of the man in the photo. Eskiaga was a real Apache scout for General Crook back in the late 1800s. I found his photo in a book at the U of A library. I liked the looks of guy so I copied him. It was fun to do. He is made of a mixture of Super Sculpey and Fimo.....See you can succeed with poly clay. You just have t o talk to it nicely. His clothes are copied right down to the rawhide boots with beading across the toes. He now lives in a modern southwestern room box that I made. He seems happy not to be blazing trails for Crook. He sits on a couch with his feet up most of the time.













This is an Elizabethan lady that I did about the same time. She is also a mixture of clays.

Her hair is in single curls all over her head with tiny pearls in it. The body of her dress was made from a man's silk tie. I did gold work embroidery on the skirt and on the antique lace petticoat that shows in the front. Her stand up collar is handmade, antique bobbin lace. Her fan is of feathers.

The poor lady doesn't have a name or a home so far. Another project to work on........



I'm sorry that I don't have more of the experiment to show you today. Maybe tomorrow, if I'm lucky. Fingers crossed.

No comments: