My friend Joan gave me a blue jay in mini, from a show a few weeks ago...He has now found a home of his own. He didn't show up very well in the trees at the craft cottage. Here, he is a stand out.
I did the landscaping this morning. I won't go into all of the details, because I did a lot of that in the craft cottage yard.
I will tell you how to make a mole hill out of a mountain though.
I started with a block of dry floral foam and got what is in the corner, covered with white glue...Yup. All of the green stuff is leftovers....thus the mole hill...
I painted that white to keep all of the sand the same color and then smeared it with lots of white glue. I sprinkled on some of the sand and shook off the excess.
Then on to the landscaping goody bag. I used the heavenly bamboo, Nandina, for the branches of the tree. It turned out kind of mesquite looking...
I used clumps of the railroad, reindeer moss for the foliage. Then I went to the backyard supply house for rocks. My back yard is full of desert stones and I don't think I am going to have to buy stones anytime soon.
I had cacti and other vegetation left over from the craft cottage, so that was done in no time...
Then Tessie got involved. "It needs life!" I knew that she wouldn't let up, so I told her to go find some...
I thought that would keep her out of my hair for a while....Wrong-O.
She was back in a flash. She had a salt shaker in one hand and the blue jay sitting on the mesquite tree, just as nice as you please....
I asked her how she did it and she replied, looking down her nose at me, "Honestly! Didn't you ever hear that the way to catch a bird is put salt on his tail?".
I looked a little closer and saw that the poor bird was just covered with salt...I doubt if he could lift his wings to fly away...
The last time I looked, Tessie had him in Eskiaga's patio birdbath. He seems to have survived the ordeal, but the birdbath is now a salt water vessel and no self respecting bird but a sea gull is going to use it again.
I am off to supervise the cleaning of the birdbath....I see Tessie sauntering that way with her toilet brush....Gotta go now!
See you tomorrow.
Adding the rocks has really enhanced the garden area. The blue-jay is really sweet. Glad he has found a home.
ReplyDeleteYou have created such a beautiful entrance with the rocks, tree, plants and the blue jay. It's very inviting.
ReplyDeleteI'm a dummy, you know I was looking for the bluejay in that first picture:) lol ... He does stand out perfectly in the last picture!! Love the landscaping!
ReplyDelete